Stock Your Kitchen Right
While there are the basics that every kitchen must have-microwave, silverware, dishes-there are some things that every chef must have. Whether you’re the gourmet chef or the from-the-box kind of cook, these are the definite must haves for every kitchen.
- Stand Mixer: Every kitchen needs a stand mixer. You can opt for the professional brand Kitchen Aid or just go for the off brand from your local cookware store, but definitely need this appliance on your kitchen counter. Whether you’re going to whip up your grandma’s chocolate cake recipe from scratch or just need to make some creamy mashed potatoes, this is a definite must.
- Stoneware: I couldn’t live without my Pampered Chef pizza stone and bar pan. Stoneware is easy to care for and clean. I use my pizza stone for everything from the obvious, pizza, to cookies and biscuits. The bar pan is great for cooking bacon in the oven or even making some oven fried chicken. No kitchen is complete without a good set of stoneware.
- Knife Set: A good set of knives will definitely come in handy. Think about that first Thanksgiving at your new home, you’re going to need a good trimming knife to carve the turkey. Not to mention when you have your first cookout and get ready to cut into those yummy steaks, steak knives are a must!
- Cutting Boards: You don’t want to scar up your brand new countertops so a cutting board is something you must have. I opt to have a plastic one for fruits and vegetables and a marble or granite one for meats and fish. Why you ask? Bacteria can settle in the cuts of the plastic cutting boards and are harder to disinfect so save those plastic ones for your chicken!
- Crockpot: Every kitchen needs a crockpot. There are those workdays you know will last longer than normal so a crockpot comes in handy so you can come home to a warm meal that’s ready to eat. Just put your ingredients in, turn it on and when you get home, your home will be filled with the wonderful aroma of a slow cooked meal.
- Colander: Colanders aren’t just for draining your favorite pasta. You can use them for rinsing fruits and vegetables or even for straining things. There are variety of types and sizes to choose from and easily store inside one another to save cabinet space.
- Spoons and Spatulas: You need a good variety of large spoons and spatulas. Whether it’s just to stir things up while you cook or for serving, make sure you have what you need. You can easily purchase sets to help save a little cash.
- Food Chopper: A food chopper is a great gadget to have. It helps finely chop your fruits and vegetables for any meal. Most are easy to use and easy to clean.
- Can Opener: Opening cans is necessary so make sure you have a good one. Electric can openers are the most commonly used and you can get them in several colors and even ones that fit under your cabinet. I opt for the Pampered Chef hand can opener because it leaves the edges smooth and is safe for my kids to use.